Tuesday, January 1, 2013

30 Days of Recipes: Day 1: PW Salsa

Happy New Year on the new blog! I'm kicking off 2013 with a new paleo recipe per day, for 30 days. I hope I don't miss a day. Fingers crossed.

So, today!

This recipe was inspired by the Pioneer Woman's Restaurant Style Salsa. I assume the Pioneer Woman has never seen my blog. This is simply my take on her recipe.

I make salsa from scratch regularly. Usually I chop all of the fresh ingredients by hand, but sometimes, like today, I use my food processor. I hear blenders work well, too, but I've never tried it that way.


First I chopped the onion. I used one bunch of green onions, and about a quarter of a baseball-size yellow onion.


I put the large can of whole stewed tomatoes in the food processor, and pulsed until I liked the texture- sort of chunky.

I added most of the leaves from one bunch of cilantro (sweet, lovely cilantro!) When I use cilantro, I keep the twist tie in place while I wash the leaves. Then you can shake them out, and use kitchen sheers to cut off the leaves, dropping them straight into the food processor. Pulse, pulse, pulse.

Then I added a couple pinches of salt, and a couple pinches of cumin. I used one very large clove of garlic. It was bigger than a fifty cent piece. Big clove. I rolled one large lime against the counter top, to soften it up before chopping it in half and squeezing the juice from one half into the salsa. Pulse, pulse, pulse.

I stirred this mix into the two cans of a chopped tomatoes with chilis. The smell of cilantro was very strong, but the taste wasn't overwhelming. There's just a little heat, but a nice flavor and texture.


I think this will be a really good burger salsa (you've tried salsa on a cheeseburger, right? mmmm!)

I'm loving this recipe. It was faster than the raw, fresh, chop method. The flavor made me and the Hubster happy. I recommend trying this one yourself. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment