Monday, January 13, 2014

Food prep, storage, etc

One of my favorite hobbies is food prep, storage, and cooking.  I like to take advantage of sales, so I can stock up with big purchases.

Before the Gross Out of 2013, the basement felt cluttered. I was aware it was time to do something about it when the Gross Out happened. We did lose a few things that we cared about, but in the end, we have a organized, and useful basement.

When we put the basement back together, I established our pantry. We have some bulk supplies (nuts, dried fruit, etc) and have been storing food as it comes in season, or goes on sale. For example, this year I made and canned apple sauce, and tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, peaches, and green beans. I also found a great deal on a vacuum sealer, and have been stocking up on meat as it goes on sale (like brats, salmon, and ground beef) and making beef jerky with a borrowed food dehydrator. I make and freeze broth regularly, and have really streamlined our food prep process.

I just love it. It's fun, it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful, and contributing to us having an healthy, efficient, and frugal lifestyle.

I don't know if anyone reads this blog, but if you're reading, do you have any experience with food storage, or do you have any times for prepping meals ahead of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment