Sunday, July 7, 2013

Oil Cleaning Method

UPDATED:

I decided to try oil cleansing after a few things. First, I ran out of  moisturizer, so I tried using olive oil. Then I stumbled upon some blog posts about using oil to cleanse your face. Intriguing. The idea is that like dissolves like. The stuff in my pores is oil. So I should use an oil to clean my face. Sure, makes sense!

Though I was skeptical at first, I am sold and loving oil cleansing. I do oil cleansing every other night or so. (I'm getting better about keeping it out of my hair, thankfully.) In the morning, I only need to splash water on my face.

I've read a few different ways to do it (prewet vs dry skin, ratio of oils, etc) but this is what I do: let the shower water run over my skin, so it feels warm and soft. Shower normally. Sometimes still in the shower, sometimes not, I put about a dime-sized drop of castor oil, and about a teaspoon or so of coconut oil in my palm. When the coconut oil melts, massage it on my face for a minute or two. Then, wipe it off were a warm, soaked rag.

I thought two minutes of oiling up my face would be dull and annoying. But I actually find myself zoning out during the massage. I've read that you may have more breakouts when you first start oil cleansing, though think my skin actually cleared up a bit. I think it has also improved the overall appearance of my skin- as in fewer wrinkles and a better texture. I'll take it!

It's like a moisturizer that cleans your face. And it works so well, you might only need to do it once a day. You've gotta try it!


2 comments:

  1. i've done coconut oil. it's pretty nice and a jar will last you a long time. it's also great to cook with but you have to be careful since it's melting/burning point is a lot lower than other oils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like using an oil cleanser on my face, too. I've only tried castor oil mixed with olive oil. But I've got coconut oil in the kitchen, so maybe I'll try that tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete