Friday, April 26, 2013

Busy Getting Healthy

On September 30th, I was tired... of being tired. Bloated. Stressed. I felt like I was moving downhill at a high rate of speed. I felt the peak of my health had passed with my 20s, to never be reclaimed.

But I knew there was something I could do. Something to lessen that downhill slide. But, changing your diet is hard, right?


Melissa Hartwig, of Whole 9 Life said that. And she was spot on. It's not that hard. It's not hard to change your habits. Being bloated and uncomfortable? Much harder to deal with that skipping cookies or rootbeer.

I had done paleo before. I did the Whole30. It was a great experiment and taught me a little about nutrition and my body. But the Whole30 lifestyle is demanding, and I fell apart afterward. Fell hard.

Fast forward a few years, I was sick and tired of bloat, weight and sleepiness. So I got back on board. I wanted to start the diet I would maintain for the rest of my life- not the more demanding Whole30. If I want something baked, I use a paleo recipe (meaning paleo ingredients, like almond flour, honey and cinnamon). I've also incorporated the GAPS protocol to identify sensitivities,  and hoping to speed up the healing process.

Of course, I sabotage myself with occasional chocolate bars, or cola- cola continues to be my weak link.  But I sabotage myself less and less all the time, and I continue to feel better and better. Many members of family are taking similar steps. It's great to see them healing, lean on each other for support, and share research and tips.

I'm taking the path towards health a little further these days, replacing our soap with castile soap, and using biodegradable shampoo and conditioner. I'm using fewer chemicals around the house.  I've found reasonable prices at discount stores in the area, like Winco and Grocery Outlet. I'll do a post on good finds at these and other places as I go.

As cool as it would be to have people paying me to blog, this post is not sponsored. The thoughts and opinions here are mine. I'm not a medical or nutrition expert, so none of what I have said should be taken as medical or nutritional advice. If you need medical, nutrition, or other professional advice, find a professional you enjoy working with, and get to work. Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I've been feeling "not great" for a while, and I assumed it was lack of sleep (my three year old still doesn't sleep through the night). But lately it feels more food related. So it's good to hear that it really isn't that hard to make changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty shocked by how much changed when I started changing the food stuff. I didn't have such dramatic results a few years ago. I guess that may be due to the fact that we can tolerate more abuse when we're younger, but become less tolerant to foods, lack of sleep, and general wear-and-tear, over time. Hope you can find some things to give yourself a little boost!

      Delete
  2. i've been doing a similar thing but it doesn't have a name. Since I am already gluten intolerant i don't have to worry about that temptation. I've been cutting out processed sugars except for the occasional treat, soda (mostly) and found that i generally feel better/less bloated if I cut out beans and rice. Of course i still allow myself things every once in awhile, but have been feeling like i have a little more energy and less poofy. ;)
    now i just need to be able to sleep better at night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bloat is wild! I never knew how bloated I was. Now, if I iover indulge (aka sabotage myself!) with pop, or something with grains, I pay for it within minutes. My stomach puffs right up, and starts to ache. My best bet for a treat is cheese or chocolate- I don't have a major reaction to those, luckily!

      Delete